Photo courtesy of the Stltoday.com As we start off our previews of the Southwestern Conference I am going to preview the top players first and then finish off with my predictions of All Conference, MVP and the order of finish…
Photo courtesy of the Stltoday.com
As we start off our previews of the Southwestern Conference I am going to preview the top players first and then finish off with my predictions of All Conference, MVP and the order of finish of the teams. So, to begin with we explore the top returning scorers in the conference .Who are those players that will provide the scoring and make the key baskets this year?
- B’Aunce Carter is a 6′ Senior post from Belleville East that averaged 13.2 points per game last year. She is explosive and a tireless worker around the basket. B’Aunce took down 4 offensive rebounds per game last year, which leads to easy baskets.. She has been working on her footwork and inside game in the off season hoping to take the next step this year. B’Aunce shot 57% from the field last year so she finishes well when she gets the ball in lane.
- Mya Glanton is a 6′ Senior post player from East St Louis that averaged 12.3 points per game last year. Mya is dominant in the post and can control the game at times. She averaged almost 6 offensive rebounds per game and shot 58% from the field. She gets position and does not give it up. Mya will convert when she gets her chances. To continue to take the next steps she needs to improve her 52% free throw shooting this year.
- Bryce Dowell is a 5’7 Senior guard from Belleville East that averaged 11.4 points per game last year. Bryce is very quick and has a great shooting stroke. She can really get hot at times and will score in bunches for the Lancers. Bryce shot 78% from the line and 48% from the field last year. Bryce did only make 15 shots from behind the 3 point line last year, so she can expand her range. If she can hit more 3’s Bryce will be even harder to stop.
- Shania Nunn is 6’1 Junior forward from Belleville West that averaged 10.1 points per game last year. Shania uses her athletic ability and instincts to really finish well around the rim. She is not a traditional post player in that she uses more finesse than strength to get where she wants, but she gets there. Shania shot over 53% from the field last year. Shania can really improve her game this year if she can consistently hit free throws and the mid range shot.
- Ashley Schloer is a 5’8 Senior guard from O’Fallon that averaged 9.3 points per game last year. Ashley is a strong at getting into the lane and creating scoring chances. She sees the floor well and can find the open lanes to get to the basket. Ashley shot over 50% on 2 point shots last year and will hit some 3 point shots if left open. She is a quality athlete that has already decided to play college softball at Division 2 St. Cloud St in Minnesota.
The Southwestern Conference has a very strong group of post players in Carter, Glanton and Nunn. There will be some exciting battles when those girls face off during the year. This conference is traditionally one of the best in 4A basketball and this year looks to be no different. Next we will profile those players that do the little things for their team, the dirty work.