Best Prospects I saw: T.Todt Shootout vs Cancer
Yesterday I spent the day at the T. Todt Shootout vs cancer at Carlinville. The event was formed to raise money for cancer research. In addition it was a way to recognize the career of Terry Todt. Terry has been…
Yesterday I spent the day at the T. Todt Shootout vs cancer at Carlinville. The event was formed to raise money for cancer research. In addition it was a way to recognize the career of Terry Todt. Terry has been the voice of high school sports in South Central Illinois for forty years. Terry is currently battling cancer and long dreamed of putting together an event like this.
- Sammi Matoush is a 5’11 senior from Hillsboro was the cream of the crop in this event. Sammi is a 2 time All State selection. This year Sammi is averaging over 25 points per game. In this event she exceeded her average by scoring 28. She was able to score in a variety of ways by hitting outside shots, driving to the lane and getting offensive rebounds. Sammi holds multiple college offers and should get even more. She is a great teammate and accomplished player.
- Kylie Meyer is a 5’9 senior from Hillsboro. She is an outstanding shooter that can kill a zone defense. Kylie hit 5 shots from behind the line in this game. Kylie is averaging over 3 made 3 pointers per game. She is a smart player that can handle the ball and passes well. Small colleges that need a shooter on the wing in the 2019 class should be on Kylie.
- Rachel Olroyd is a 5’9 senior guard from Carlinville. Rachel is a scrappy player that does the little things every team can use. She will run the point, play great defense and can score too. Rachel is the kind of kid everyone wants on the floor. She is a team player that finds a way to get things done.
- Jill Stayton is a 5’8 freshman guard for Carlinville. Jill showed a good outside shot with nice form that she repeats shot after shot. She is a smart player that handles herself well for a freshman and should be tracked by NAIA/D3 schools.
- Shelby Taylor is a 5’5 sophomore point guard from Gillespie.Shelby is left handed and can use her strength and quickness to get in the lane. Shelby finished strong on a few drives against bigger players and also made good decisions on when to pass. She can improve her outside shot and will hopefully grow some, but definitely has the upside to play college basketball.
- Sydney Bires is a 5’11 sophomore post player for Gillespie. This was the best game I have seen out of Sydney. I was impressed with how she finished in the lane. Sydney is a strong player and was able to create her space in the lane and finish when she got the ball. She was also very active in the offensive boards.
- Jayde Landers is a 5’6 junior guard for Auburn. Jayde is strong going to the basket and can finish in the paint. She handles the ball well and does a good job as the lead guard for her team. The team doesn’t have a go to scorer like last year so she needs to find ways to score. She did a good job of getting to the foul line and converting in this game.
- Savannah Bruhn is a 5’4 senior guard for Staunton. Savannah is the point guard that leads the team and is also a good scorer. She hit 4 shots from the 3 point line in this game and led the team with 18. Savannah has been consistently hitting her shots and scoring in double figures. She could help a small college that is looking for a solid point guard that can hit the 3 when left open.
- Abby Scanzoni is a 6’2 senior post from Staunton. Abby is a big strong girl that is hard to move once she has established position in the lane. If she gets the ball in a deep position she will finish the shot consistently. She is learning to be a better rebounder and to keep the ball high so the guards cannot dig. Abby will need to get into better shape and get quicker to compete at the next level. But, as I have heard more than once, you cannot teach height. Abby has skills that can be worked with and improved at the college level.
This was a great event for a great cause. To have a chance to see so many prospects in one gym in one day was exciting. All of these girls and more have the chance to play at the next level if they desire to and put in the work.