The AIA is loaded with 48 very talented 2A teams this upcoming. Last years state tournament teams included: Pima, Horizon Honors, Scottsdale Christian Academy, San Carlos, Arizona Lutheran Academy, Phoenix Country Day, Bisbee, St John’s, Valley, St. John Paul II Catholic, Arete Prep, Miami, Morenci, Valley Lutheran, Round Valley and Red Rock. These are my predictions for the top contenders to bring a home a state championship this season.
1) Red Rock: The Scorpions are coming off a 24-2 record and another 2nd place finish in the state tournament. Red Rock returns all but 3 players from last year’s second place team and are my favorite to bring home the title this upcoming season. The Scorpions have proved to be one of the best teams in Division 2A finishing 2nd in the state tournament each of the last two seasons.
2) St John Paul II Catholic: The Lions are coming off a 24-1 season, losing in the state Semi-Finals to Red Rock. The Lions are returning leading scorerwho averaged 21.8 Pts, 6Asts, and 8Rbs a game. They did lose the majority of their supporting cast to graduation, but I still believe this Lion team is a top contender for a state title this upcoming season.
3) St John’s: The Redskins are coming off a 28-4 season and a loss in the State Semi-finals to the soon be champion Pima Roughriders. The Redskins return 7 of their 10 varsity players from last season. I’d anticipate them to have another very competitive season and be a contender for a state championship come February.
4) Miami: The Miami Vandals are my dark horse to contend for a state championship this upcoming season. They are returning a star in Demetria Dosela who averaged 20pts and 11.5rbs a game last season as a freshman. The Vandals return their top 4 scorers from last years team. Although, the Vandals are still young they are one of my favorites to make a run for a state championship this upcoming season.
5) Pima High School: The defending state champs are coming off an impressive 29-1 season. The Roughriders have some big shoes to fill as they lose two top players in Saydee Allerd and Aubrie Sherwood this next season. Senior Ashlynn Chlarson averaged 13Pts and 9.5Rbs a game last year and will likely be their top go-to player. The Pima Roughriders graduated a lot this past season, but look for them to still contend for another state championship this season.