Southern Illinois Breakout performers Part 2
In this article I continue my look at players that are having a breakout season. These could be previously unknown players or under appreciated players. In many cases these players are stepping into the spotlight due to expanded roles on…
In this article I continue my look at players that are having a breakout season. These could be previously unknown players or under appreciated players. In many cases these players are stepping into the spotlight due to expanded roles on their team due to graduation or injuries.
- Sydney Harris is a 6’0 Freshman wing for Edwardsville. In replacing a great 2018 senior class it has become clear that Harris will be counted on to score. Sydney is averaging 14.9 points per game so far. She has hit 53.7 % of her 3 point shots. Harris has also been good at the free throw line converting 78% of tries. Sydney cannot be left alone as she will bury the open shot consistently. As a freshman she is still working on all aspects of her game, but she is ready, willing and able to score right now.
- Sami Kasting is a 5’5 Senior guard from Metro East Lutheran. Sami has been forced into a more prominent role due to the transfer of last years leading scorer. She has been a leader for the Knights as she tries to contribute in any way she can. Kasting is stuffing the stat sheet with 15 points, 5 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 4.6 steals per game. Sami is very quick and can beat you off the dribble or catch and shoot the 3. While she is smaller in height, Sami is very tough and can defend too.
- Kayla Gordon is a 5’4 Junior point guard from O’Fallon. Kayla is very quick in short bursts and lightning fast running the court. She is a true leader and point guard for her team. Kayla handles the ball well and will find the open player. If you leave Kayla open of play off her she can score. Kayla is shooting 47% from the floor and 76% from the line. At 10.2 points per game she is leading a team that is very balanced in scoring.
- Emily Reinneck is a 5’8 Senior wing from Lebanon. Many fans already are aware of Emily due to the success of the Lebanon program. This year Emily has taken on a more prominent role due to graduation. Emily is averaging 14.4 points, 4.5 assists and 3.2 steals per game. She has converted on 57% of her field goal attempts. She and her twin sister Abigail are the only returning starters and have had to take over the leadership roles. Emily is a strong player that can beat you off the dribble and also post up a smaller player.
- Kristyn Mitchell is a 6’0 Junior forward for Collinsville. She is currently averaging 11.4 points and 6 rebounds per game.She is one of 4 players averaging between 8-11 points per game for the Kahoks. MItchell has shown the ability to get hot as she had games of 19 and 29 earlier in the season. She will need to be more consistent in her output as she has also had recent games of 4 and 5 points. It is obvious that Kristyn can score the basketball and she is definitely on the rise this season.
I will keep an eye for more girls to introduce you to as the Christmas tournaments begin soon.